Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Jonathan Ray Dacula

Hello all! My name is Jonathan Ray Dacula. I am currently an English Writing junior at Loyola as well as student assistant for the university's English department. I am also a University Ministry "junkie" at Loyola and president and founder of the Wolfpack Diversity Team, a group that seeks to unite the diverse cultures we have on campus in solidarity with each other. Outside of school, I enjoy writing, singing, creating new songs, and engaging in numerous jam and dance sessions with my friends. Yes, dance sessions. :)

As far as my knowledge of the Holocaust goes, I was first introduced to the tragedy of the Holocaust of WWII in my middle school and high school history classes. I also visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. twice: once in 2007 as a N.O. delegate for the Anti-Defamation League conference and this past January.  I took Dr. Adams' "Contemporary Topics: Rhetoric" course last semester. We touched briefly on the rhetorical aspects of the Holocaust during WWII as well as the rhetoric of Hitler himself. This is a major reason why I look forward to this course. While holocausts are indeed a tragedy, it amazes me how one person can influence thousands of people to engage in mass exterminations of people...and feel justified in doing so. I look forward to seeing the Holocaust from several different perspectives by studying literature and film in this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment